Time or non-time.

shin
04-09-2013, 17:52

old.
| Website
Hi,

Today I was thinking about something. As we know ppl on thps3 resigned from playing ctf with time. Playing with xtc when many players have great combo skills, doesnt have any sense nowadays. You can play perfect game, win 5:0 in time, get slapped and lose the game. This is why there isn’t any sense playing ctf with time, because it just killed general sense of ctf.

But what about other games? There are 2 games which are played with time, and imo they shouldn’t and I think we should change it.

1st game isn’t much popular. It’s of course keep away. Mostly this game is played with time and it doesn’t make any sense for me. I just can avoid to grab a ball in time, and just make big combo, and grab when everyone will die. I don’t know maybe something changed, but when i played it last time, it was still with time, and it was a bit ridicolous for me. This game should be played with score, not a time, and I guess most of you agree with me in this point.

2nd game is more popular, and ofc more controversial. I’m talking about Slap. The game which is generally owned by one player- Rev. But does it really is?
Slap mostly is played 30 seconds + extra time. Now Can someone explain me, what slap really is? Mostly 30 seconds don’t count, and game generally starts in extra time. I know everyone has same chance, everyone can make big combo, try to slap opponents, or avoid them till they will die, and next do a job, and make as many slaps as we can. And now I’m asking myself if slap should be played in this way? Why does Rev win most of the games? Most of you will answer, because He has great combo skills and we can’t deny it. And now i see again that question, what slap really is? Combo contest or what? Imo slap generally is based on Speed, using a level and orientation where opponents are.(sorry, hard for me to explain it better in english, but i guess you got a point.).

Today on Dude’s Server we played slap tour – 2mins+ non time. It means we all Stopped at 0. There was no extra time. It was my idea to play it. It’s nothing against Rev, because He is a great player, one of the better players on thps3, but fact is that other players were much better in these games. Of course Me and Rev were a bit arguing about it. His main point was that ofc I always make stupid theories about the games, and ppl always have played slap with xtra time, and my point was that I want to play slap, not a combo contest. Ofc Rev’s slap records are great, but does it really slap? I don’t think so. It’s not how slap should be played. Because for me Slap is about to hit the players, when they move. When they are dead, it’s only about how I can handle my combo and this is a moment where slap really ends for me.

I know I could miss some points but I think you generally know what I mean.

So let’s discuss.

PS. What a long post lol :shock:

http://pl.youtube.com/user/prozshin
Quote this message in a reply

Faith
04-09-2013, 18:17

Tony Himself

about keep away: its not much played cus ppl will just do a ta line then after time slap and land their combo. You can only play it with some explainations first.

about slap: i get ur point. Sure i would like to see in a way that we should oriëntatie ourselfs and get speed to slap someone rather than long combos. But the point is, is that when we should do that your chance of getting slapped inscreases. theirby (if your playing agaist rev for example) you have to wait fucking ages. so thats why ppl dont do that. You can avoid waiting ages to.. again set some rules before you start playing. Like: slap limit.

Sure slap can be played either ''rev's way'' or ''shin's way'' I'd prefer your way shin for slap, because then everybody doesnt have to wait very long. On the other hand id also like to make a long combo and get as many slaps as possible. Its up the the ppl in the game to discuss wut they are up to.

I think we should try some games doing it your way. im up for that.

Psycho
04-09-2013, 18:23

rockband addict

shin Wrote:Hi,

As we know ppl on thps3 resigned from playing ctf with time. Playing with xtc when many players have great combo skills, doesnt have any sense nowadays. You can play perfect game, win 5:0 in time, get slapped and lose the game. This is why there isn’t any sense playing ctf with time, because it just killed general sense of ctf.

Sorry, but no. XTC's are great to balance the "game" after time, I mostly play with lower skilled guys in my team and XTCs are great to end the game (just my opinion).

shin
04-09-2013, 18:45

old.
| Website
Faith Wrote:about keep away: its not much played cus ppl will just do a ta line then after time slap and land their combo. You can only play it with some explainations first.

this is why i said about non- time. If there is non-time in KA, and point is who 1st make for example 2 mlns is much more interesting. So no one can really make a big combo, and wait, because someone with ball, probably will be faster. I remember I played some months ago KA with score, and it wasn't easy to make 2mlns, when everybody slapped you so fast Original Remember when someone first try to make a combo, and next try to slap a guy with a ball, its not such easy to slap him, because he still makes combo, and its easy to bail when you try to get him Tongue So if you will try to make it all the time, probably you will lose most of the games.

Psycho Wrote:Sorry, but no. XTC's are great to balance the "game" after time, I mostly play with lower skilled guys in my team and XTCs are great to end the game (just my opinion).

ofc xtc is fun. But this is not what ctf is about. It's a team game. You are just unlucky if your team mate is bad. Shit happens. If i win 4:0 in time, and lose because someone made 5 xtc, you think it's fair? and someone was better? I think it could be acceptable, if you can make only 1-2 xtc, not more. It could be a next idea Original

http://pl.youtube.com/user/prozshin

Demo
04-09-2013, 18:59

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
| Website
i guess 1xtc would be fair, like in basketball - the last ball after time is counted Tongue

-
Youtube Channel | THPS2 Cumulative Patch | THPS3 LevelMod | THPS3 Project 512x | Tony Hawk's Games Wiki
-

Faith
04-09-2013, 19:13

Tony Himself

know shin. i only said it because you said:
shin Wrote:it doesn’t make any sense for me.
. So i wanted to tell u why its not played much. but w/e you get it.

haha n1 demo

bluey
04-09-2013, 20:24

FATALITY

ahah shinzy, nice topic.
I think there is a conversation about xtc/ctf in tournament part.

Well, anyway, you know my choice.

Ctf : 5 cap/no XTC (sure there is some skills about not being slapped after time, but well, this isnt the ctf I like)
cz : 1 time all zones/ no XTZ (xtz has no meaning for me)
Keep Away : I remember playing this games with score limit. I played this game with time limit too, but we set the rules before : at 0.00, everyone land.

Heart

Giel
04-09-2013, 20:27

What? 180!?

I don't think slap is a combo contest. Because players are all over the level (mostly) when they're done comboing. So u have to be creative and think of a line where you have the least chance to bail. That line can be hard to do so your skills have to be to be creative and have a good balance and make sure u don't turn bail etc. I like your idea as well but i think slap can be played in more ways.

Lyst
04-09-2013, 20:35

Administrator
| Website
Indeed Keep Away is mostly played with score limit or with stop at 0:00. We decided on stopping with xtz, because if you get all zones, you can't get rid of the key and you have to flee all the time. In levels as airport this is quite hard, so for the opponent it's not so difficult to slap you and get a little over 1 xtz.

In CTF however, you can just drop or not grab the flag before time. I actually like the xtc part in which you try to chase someone in a combo and be faster than him when you slap him. So it's more than just who can do the longest combo. I do agree that extra time caps are easier to do than in time caps. We used to have a tournament in which xtc are counted as 0.5 cap, which is more balanced in my opinion. It would take 11 captures to equal 5-0 in time. And ofcourse 5cap limit, which is played more and more. Perhaps someone could hack this into 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 cap, as nobody plays 15 and 20 caps anyway. This could result in interesting new gameplay.

About slap, I think in time slap is quite unfair, especially in larger levels. Because with some bad respawns you're already 2-3 slaps behind.

Yes, but why is the rum gone?

Psycho
04-09-2013, 21:28

rockband addict

shin Wrote:ofc xtc is fun. But this is not what ctf is about. It's a team game. You are just unlucky if your team mate is bad. Shit happens. If i win 4:0 in time, and lose because someone made 5 xtc, you think it's fair? and someone was better? I think it could be acceptable, if you can make only 1-2 xtc, not more. It could be a next idea Original

Ye, I gotta agree, it's a team game, and I'm getting mad as hell when I get beaten by XTC :lol: too but it's just cool to kick your opponents ass off after time and they keep spamming stuff to interrupt you haha Mad
By the way, I love your convo. threads, always a great (and informational) fun to talk about stuff with you. :Original
Keep the comments and opinions coming guys! (Y)