Massive lag

Demo
06-01-2015, 17:10

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
| Website
type ping openspy.net in cmd

-
Youtube Channel | THPS2 Cumulative Patch | THPS3 LevelMod | THPS3 Project 512x | Tony Hawk's Games Wiki
-
Quote this message in a reply

Shizz
06-01-2015, 17:26

It's Rodney!

http://puu.sh/i8xli/70a202b4be.png

lol looks pretty fast ?

Those who do not learn history, are doomed to repeat it.

Lyst
06-01-2015, 21:37

Administrator
| Website
It is not.

Yes, but why is the rum gone?

Shizz
06-01-2015, 21:53

It's Rodney!

Ok I don't know what is fast and what not Tongue So Demo you have 163ms and I have 127ms?
So what does this mean, what is the problem so? My internet connection?

Lyst
06-02-2015, 09:29

Administrator
| Website
Well I have around the same, so it shouldn't cause extreme lags. But over 100ms ping is quite bad imo, especially if you want to play games at a high level. Isn't Openspy located in the US? And how much is Openspy involved in hosting a server, as servers are hosted on your own pc right?

Shizz
06-02-2015, 10:06

It's Rodney!

I suppose those questions are for Demo?
So the lower your ms ping is the better your connection? The lower you have lag? Or did I misunderstand this? That would mean demo lags a lot or not?

And now that you say that about openspy, maybe the problem is indeed since we play online on openspy. Maybe it's not my pc or my connection but maybe I just had less lag with Gamespy? That possible?

Lyst
06-02-2015, 12:03

Administrator
| Website
As far as I know Gamespy and Openspy just host the lobby. Once you're in a server you have a direct peer to peer connection to the computer of the one hosting the server. That's why you have to open ports as a host. Newer (THPS) games often have central servers running all games. Then the ping to that server does matter. Ping is nothing more than the time it takes for a package to travel from your pc to the destination and back, so lower is better indeed. In THPS3 however, the ping should be measured between you and the one hosting the game. The ping to Openspy just says something about the time it takes to send a chat message in the lobby or the time it takes to refresh.
But that is all based on what I know, if THPS3 servers are actually hosted on a central server, then it does matter yes.

Shizz
06-02-2015, 13:38 (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 13:40 by Shizz.)

It's Rodney!

I get what you said, that was a very clear explanation Original It also makes perfect sense..

So it means that if one of those Mexican players would host and I would join I should normally have more lag than when, for example, a Dutch player hosts ,since I am from Belgium.

btw: I was going to say that I notice no lag at all in the lobby indeed, and never really noticed in my entire thps3 career. But that wouldn't really make sense now since Openspy is located in the US (according to you) which is also far away? And now that I've thought of that , I have to say that I did notice a lag maybe in lobby. It sometimes takes me a long time to see a server again when I go back in lobby or to see "all" servers..

Lyst
06-02-2015, 16:14

Administrator
| Website
We're talking about 100-200ms, That is 0.2 seconds. And the game can show your own messages immediately, because you don't have to send them to the server first to show them in your chatlog. It does take the half of the ping time however for the messages to be stored at the server, and half of the readers ping time to be shown in his chatlog.

The not being able to see servers thing is just a bug from openspy. Someone needs to start a game or change level to trigger something that makes the server show again.