CAP angles

PoWerFuQ
06-27-2020, 23:49

Wannabe

Over the THPS series, I always had thought, "if we could move a quarter pipe at 45 degrees, it would open things up".

All the pieces we can place can be turned 90 degrees. So it makes all the park lines go left to right, and up and down.
If we could spin a piece at a 45 degree, then place it. it would makes things so much more rad.
is this possible? And has anyone done it already?
Quote this message in a reply

Vadru
07-03-2020, 12:16

What? 180!?

(06-27-2020 23:49)PoWerFuQ Wrote:  Over the THPS series, I always had thought, "if we could move a quarter pipe at 45 degrees, it would open things up".

All the pieces we can place can be turned 90 degrees. So it makes all the park lines go left to right, and up and down.
If we could spin a piece at a 45 degree, then place it. it would makes things so much more rad.
is this possible? And has anyone done it already?

It's possible in theory, but practically alot more hard. Because when the park is saved, the rotation is only saved as 1 byte value ie:
0 - no rotation
1 - 90 degre
2 - 180 degree
3 - 270 degree
So if you want to make it work you will have to recreate big parts of the CAP system.
So to answear your question, you are looking at hours of work debugging the cap functions and remaking. So I'm not really sure I have time/dedication to do something like that.
However I have been looking into improving the park editor in other ways, so maybe will release something in the future. But I'm not promising anything as I'm quite busy with real life and when I do have freetime on t he computer I spend it on LevelMod and my Level Editor.

PoWerFuQ
07-04-2020, 23:18

Wannabe

Oh wow, thanks for the info brother, that was very informative. I wasn't sure how much would be involved with that. I just knew that having more angles to place pieces, would really open up the flow of a park.
The angle counting against the park size blew my mind. I see how that would make it hard. I would have never guessed that.

One thing THPS4 got right, was parks online. The host could load a park, and the players in the room didn't need to have it. That was a Varial Playground (the first thps3 online park website) dream come true.
Then players could leave the server, and save the park if they wanted.

But out of all of the THPS games, they park editor always worked with 90, 180, and 270 pieces. And now I think I know why, park size!

I hope the new Remaster really goes big with the park editor. I think the park editor is a big way to keep the game fresh over time. With Varial Playground, and then Da FuQ Shop, we had a lot of fun with park editors.

In TH3 and TH4, we would build "Session Parks". For example, the park would be a big roll in, into a picnic table on top of a pyramid. And that was it.
We would take turns playing "Horse Graf"..... We would start a Graf game with no time limit, you would roll in, ollie flip trick, into a grind on the table, flip out, and land.
The next guy would roll in, flip trick into grind, flip out, and land. He would try and steal the picnic table graf.
This was pretty dang fun. Then we would make parks that had 4 or 5 spots like this. We would go to a game level,like LA. We would start a graf game.
Then we would pick a spot. Example, the varial kickflip stairs. We would trick on only that, and not land in a manual. And we would try and steal the graf tag for it.

I really miss doing these "Graf Session ". Some folks didn't "get it". But those of us who did, loved it. CAP are a big part of THPS series for me.